Basic Workplace First Aid
When you splash hot coffee on your hands or get too close to industrial machinery, there's risk of serious burns. It's important to know how to respond if you or a coworker in Greeneville, TN, gets scalded, exposed to radiation, or zapped with electricity. If you end up with injuries due to fire damage, you'll want to know that someone has the skills and equipment ready to apply burn first aid.
Identify the Severity of the Burn
The first step is identifying whether the burn requires professional attention. Contact 911 or get to an emergency room if there's a major burn.
- The skin is dry and leathery.
- There are charred patches and discoloration.
- The burns cover more than three inches and/or run deep into the skin.
Care for Minor Burns
If the burns are minor, such as blistered hands from providing a quick response to fire damage, there are a few steps you or your coworkers can handle on your own.
- Remove jewelry and tight clothing from the burned skin. It doesn't take long for swelling to affect the area.
- Cool the burned area. This may involve holding the burn under cool running water or putting a cool, wet cloth on the area. This should continue until the pain of the burn decreases.
- Apply an ointment or lotion. After the skin is as cool as possible, apply aloe vera, an antibiotic ointment, or a moisturizing lotion for further relief.
- Consider wrapping the burned skin loosely with sterile gauze to keep air away and to protect the skin. Over-the-counter pain relievers can also be used to reduce pain and swelling.
- If there are blisters, do not pop or break them. The fluid and skin offer protection from infections. If blisters do break, keep the area clean and apply antibiotic ointment over the exposed skin.
Whether you or your coworker has been affected by flames and fire damage or electrical burns, a quick response and appropriate first aid treatment could prevent a lot of pain and damage in the future. Damage to the building should be handled by fire damage restoration professionals.